Thursday, April 2, 2009

Give Me Money?

It is not a new concept that we are entering a world of the "gimmies". And whatever your political views, I'd like to hear someone defend that the new President is not encouraging us to think that way. Welcome to the new welfare nation.

So should I be surprised that an individual has the impudence to ask complete strangers to donate money so that she may have the wedding of her dreams?

Now, don't get me wrong. It's an ingenious concept. However, what ever happened to living within your means? Now if this girl had some sob story, I'm sure many of us would feel differently. But she clearly states that she cannot afford her dream wedding because "We spent last year paying off all our debt (with the exception of my car payment on my Toyota Corolla and the occasional credit card balance)".

There are plenty of brides out there that work full time jobs and remain out of debt AND can pay for a wedding (like me). Is it the wedding of my dreams? Pretty close and I will have the satisfaction at the end of it to say "We paid for it on our own". Blame it on our upbringing, but my fiancé and I are independent and would never stick our hand out.

This reminds me of several people I know that have had everything handed to them. New cars upon graduation, school, rent, shopping trips... you name it and it's covered by mom, dad or grandparents. And I truly feel sorry for them. They will always rely on someone else and never understand the true value of a dollar. And those thinking I'm bitter towards these type of people must have been one of them because only when you are entirely self supportive will you finally "get it".

So those of you interested, view her site here. Donate if you feel necessary and don't worry, she states she'll return the favor. Me? Let's just say I donated a dollar to her, she donated a dollar to me and now we're even.

No comments: